Two Ten Footwear Foundation is the footwear industry’s charitable foundation. As an operating foundation, Two Ten provides $1,950,000 in emergency financial assistance alongside telephonic social services, information and referrals, access to confidential counseling and other resources for thousands of footwear employees who contact Two Ten for help each year.
Two Ten also provides $1,000,000 in college scholarships to footwear employees and their children. In addition, Two Ten organizes a number community-building initiatives including Women in the Footwear Industry (WIFI) and Footwear Cares (a national volunteer campaign involving 125 footwear companies and 10,000 volunteers) plus 50-75 outreach events during the year in nine major markets across the US.
Our 45 Board members are among the industry’s leading executives, including executives from: Caleres, New Balance, HH Brown, Steve Madden Inc., Wolverine World Wide, Nordstrom, VF Corporation, Lord & Taylor, Zappos and Foot Locker.
ln the 1930’s Boston was the center of America’s shoe manufacturing industry. With the Great Depression, the industry and its people experienced severe job loss. At that time, 210 Lincoln Street was the home for 300 shoe companies. Every Wednesday afternoon the local footwear community would gather for “Leather Days” when samples were inspected.
One shoe person shared his personal trauma and his friends rallied by passing a hat around the room to take a collection. From this spontaneous expression of caring, a gift of $500 was provided by Abe Shapiro to create Two Ten Associates, the precursor to Two Ten Footwear Foundation.
Two Ten is the only industry-wide charitable foundation in the US, serving its own workforce – raising funds from footwear companies and industry leaders to assist shoe people and their families at times of crisis.
The Associate Director of Marketing – WIFI Professional Group is a senior member of the recently amalgamated Development and Marketing teams, who will develop, drive, and grow one of Two Ten’s most established and important professional groups, Women In the Footwear Industry (WIFI). WIFI attracts and inspires the footwear industry’s most influential women and next generation leaders through its mentoring program, educational seminars, national and local events, and the annual, industry-wide WIFI Impact Awards.
The Associate Director reports to the Chief Marketing and Development Officer and is based in our Waltham, MA headquarters.
Primary responsibilities will include, but not limited to:
- Management and growth of the 4,000-member National Two Ten WIFI professional group, in partnership with Advisors and Committee Members.
- Management and oversight for Regional Two Ten WIFI Chapters , currently in Boston, New York, Columbus, Milwaukee, St. Louis, Seattle, Portland, Los Angeles and Las Vegas, including monitoring their co-chairs, committees, events and all other aspects of their activities.
- Responsible for the planning, execution and growth of two highly-visible national events each year, the WIFI Impact Awards and the WIFI National Conference.
- Oversight for and driving growth of the WIFI Mentoring Program.
- Proactively identifying potential WIFI Sponsors and collaborating with the Director of Development to create solicitation strategies.
- External Representation and Presentation of the Foundation and its programs to industry companies and corporations, and other companies or individuals.
- Relationship Development with mid- to C-level executives across the industry, with industry affiliates, and with Two Ten Board members.
- Partnering with internal marketing team to develop Materials, Collateral and Toolkits to support all WIFI-related needs.
- Actively supporting key Two Ten events and activities as required, including the Annual Gala and Footwear Cares.
As Associate Director of Marketing – WIFI, a typical day may include the following:
- Hosting a national “Lunch & Learn” webinar presentation for 100+ WIFI members with a guest speaker that you pre-identified, approached and scheduled;
- Working with the WIFI committee to identify honorees for the annual WIFI Impact Awards, followed by building out a logistics, communications, and materials plan for the event;
- Collaborating with the Chief Marketing & Development Officer on developing annual strategic plans and performance metrics for all WIFI activities;
- Completing travel plans for West Coast corporate visits, presentations, and meetings with WIFI regional chapter co-chairs;
- Working with the CRM Manager to review and update the WIFI database;
- Leading the design, upload, mailing list pull and send of an electronic invitation for a regional WIFI event.
This job might be for you if:
- You easily and naturally care about, and engage with people. You love interacting and collaborating with people, and have loads of innate savvy about getting business done in a way that deepens working relationships.
- You are a leader, builder and motivator. The Marketing team requires a strong team-member who can juggle 15 balls in the air and show poise and focus while doing so. The Marketing team is involved in all aspects of Two Ten life; hence you must be perceived as all-knowing, all-seeing and well-ahead-of-the-curve.
- You love getting the job done. You love taking on difficult challenges and finding creative solutions, you like managing multiple projects at once, and in the process, you are patient, levelheaded and cool under pressure like a Saint.
- You are innately a “relationship-builder.” You are always focused on strengthening the organization’s brand and profile internally and externally by developing strong and meaningful relationships with donors to ensure they realize their philanthropic goals and love the Foundation.
- You pay attention to details but have a clear ‘big picture’ perspective. As far as you’re concerned, anything worth doing is worth doing excellent – every single time.
- You communicate clearly. Your written work is exceptional, compelling and smart. You speak eloquently. You can speak to 150 people and nail it. You can explain just about anything to anybody and you’re very comfortable on the phone, working with your peers and team members, and communicating with Two Ten board members, industry supporters and executives at every level.
- You are driven. You like a fast-paced environment. You like being challenged and work through problems to get the job done. You enjoy a diversity of job requirements. You want to make a meaningful difference in the world and it doesn’t bother you that sometimes it requires your involvement before 9am and after 5pm.
- You strive for excellence. You work hard and take ownership of what you do. You like independence and also thrive in a team-oriented environment. You ask for help when you need it. You are reliable and resilient. You have superior organizational skills. You want to achieve goals and work hard to be sure you do.
- You juggle. Some days you’ll be on the road speaking with footwear employees at a health and benefits fair. Other days you’ll be developing a new Associate Board fundraising event with the development team. Other days you’ll be schmoozing at a footwear event in NYC or Las Vegas.
- You laugh. We laugh a lot at Two Ten and we’re looking for a leader who can immediately bring a sense of humor, positive energy and dynamism to our team. We celebrate birthdays and eat birthday cake. We celebrate holidays and local sports teams. We work hard and want to enjoy our workday and a strong positive culture.
- You travel well. The position requires regular travel to NYC and Las Vegas, with pre-planned trips to cities around the U.S. where key supporters, companies and/or prospects are located. We expect up to a 25% travel commitment over a year.
This is what we require:
- Minimum 10 years of direct high-level experience in marketing, project management, events, committee development and communications, ideally from the footwear industry.
- Excellent leadership and management skills, as well as the ability to forge strong interpersonal relationships with industry leaders.
- Extraordinary high-level committee-building skills to facilitate and lead group discussions with Board members and key leaders.
- Exceptional presentation skills, to both small and large audiences, and to individuals at trade shows, benefits fairs, etc.
- Highly organized and able to corral, unify and direct groups / teams of people.
- Experienced and proficient at organizing and executing events of any size and scale.
- Commitment to and passion for Two Ten’s mission and ability to translate programs into compelling fundraising and cause-related initiatives and appeals.
- Active and motivational team-oriented support of our marketing and development teams’ efforts to build awareness, increase engagement, raise funds and meet the goals of the Foundation’s Strategic Plan.
- Comfortable and confident with technology, including utilizing video conferencing and virtual presentation tools and Two Ten’s CRM / database management system.
- Financially sharp and able to forecast, budget and reconcile expenses.
- Excellent team building skills to lead and mentor staff.
- Exceptional oral, written and formal presentation skills.
- Entrepreneurial and energetic spirit.
- Experience with Raiser’s Edge NXT, or other database management system, preferred but not required
An excellent and competitive benefits package is on offer.