Under the direction of the Director of Product Development, this position is responsible for coordinating the development process for J&M Men’s footwear. This includes product creation during all phases of development and utilizing product development knowledge and tools to effectively and appropriately achieve project objectives.
- Manage sampling and prototyping of J&M development projects including special make-up (SMU) and J&M Factory Store business segments.
- Collaborate with the design team in order to execute design, coordinate materials, produce patterns, and develop footwear prototypes during the product design lifecycle.
- Manage mold development from initial drawing to confirmation in conjunction with Design, thru 2D Blue print, 3D CAD, development and commercialization.
- Recommend and specify the material, component, and construction options to meet key features and product performance goals.
- Maintain clear documentation and communication of the design solutions from concept through final product (i.e. building Tech Packs/Bill of Materials/Product Specification sheets).
- Communicate through email and/or PDM/PLM software systems all product development information to the assigned liaison team across the globe in order to keep up with current product lifecycle including all changes and all aspects of footwear development..
- Research global market to understand consumer market needs as it relates to J&M products/categories in order thoroughly understand consumer/product requirements.
- Manage pre-costing, seasonal cost analysis, and problem solving on all projects.
- Maintain reports, records and samples pertaining to the process or styles.
- Manage assembly of the approved design into a package of two and three-dimensional information which adequately describes and utilizes current and feasible assembly techniques.
- Works as a member of the development team to maintain product integrity with respect to last, upper, and model development.
- Perform effective time management of projects/collections between Nashville corporate office teammates, and international partner factories overseas.
- Work with Commercialization and Engineering on technical applications of footwear.
- Manage daily activities and execute time line objectives to ensure on-time product delivery.
- Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in mechanical engineering, industrial design or other applied arts and science field
- 4-7 footwear industry experience
- Strong computer skills including Microsoft word, Excel, Adobe Photoshop and ability to use advanced footwear/business related software programs as needed (i.e. PLM/PDM systems).
- General knowledge of biomechanical concepts, ability to think through and problem solve critical business issues.
- Working knowledge of footwear materials, lasts, leathers, outsoles and constructions.
- Ability to build effective design and manufacturing partnerships globally.
- Structural thinker with well developed commercial understanding and thought process.
- Highly organized and able to adapt quickly to changing priorities.
- Effective communicator and team player with ability to work closely across functional areas.
- Versatile problem-solving and decision-making skills.
- Ability to travel (including overseas travel).